Green Drop System (GDS)

Online visitors Total: 4 | Guests: 4       Login    

    Green Drop Assessment


Filter by:

Provincial Green Drop Score

FusionMaps
FusionMaps Export Handler Component

Provincial Green Drop Score
(Show footnote)
Provincial performance profiles are the summation of the respective municipal performances. Each Province has different dynamics with municipal participants that perform exceptionally well, on average, unsatisfactory or very poorly.

South Africa: Comparative Analysis: Green Drop Scores

ProvinceNumber of WorksProvincial Green Drop ScoreRisk Profile [CRR as % of CRR(Max)]Average Green Drop ScoreGreen Drops Awarded% Systems that achieved >50%Position on Performance log
WC 155 83.1% 62.0%   65.0%   19 75.0% 1
KZ 143 82.0% 55.0%   61.0%   11 66.0% 2
GT 56 78.8% 57.0%   68.0%   5 68.0% 3
EC 123 67.2% 78.0%   33.0%   3 26.0% 4
MP 76 56.0% 73.0%   42.0%   1 41.0% 5
NW 35 50.0% 76.0%   29.0%   1 17.0% 6
FS 95 31.5% 83.0%   24.0%   0 12.0% 7
LP 67 24.0% 79.0%   24.0%   0 15.0% 8
NC 71 23.0% 76.0%   26.0%   0 13.0% 9
SA Total821   40  

Comparative Analysis of Provincial Performance
(Show footnote)
Provincial performance profiles are the summation of the respective municipal performances. Each Province has different dynamics with municipal participants that perform exceptionally well, on average, unsatisfactory or very poorly. The key performance indicators are compared for benchmarking and self assessment purposes.

From the above analysis, it can be seen that Western Cape, followed by Kwa-Zulu Natal and Gauteng are producing the high performing wastewater systems. Eastern Cape, followed by Free State, Northern Cape and Limpopo are producing the bulk of systems that are in critical and poor performing positions.

Distribution of WWTPs per Size Category

Score Chart
FusionChart Export Handler Component
Micro: <0.5 Ml/daySmall: 0.5 - <2 Ml/dayMedium: 2 - <10 Ml/dayLarge: 10 - <25 Ml/dayMacro: 25+ Ml/dayUndetermined: ? Ml/day

Distribution of WWTPs per Size Category
(Show footnote)
The Green Drop assessment results verified a spread of treatment plants across the country to comprise predominantly (73%) of micro-, small- and medium sized plants. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of design capacity is contained at macro-size plants, which are mostly located in the larger cities.

South Africa: Works Distribution

ProvinceWastewater WorksDesign CapacityDaily FlowRemaining Capacity (%)
Number% of TotalMl/day% of Total Ml/day % of Total
EC 123 14.98% 489.5 7.40 344.9 6.56 29.54%  
FS 95 11.57% 482.2 7.29 197.9 3.76 58.96%  
GT 56 6.82% 2 595.1 39.24 2 579.0 49.05 0.62%  
KZ 143 17.42% 1 076.2 16.27 715.9 13.61 33.48%  
LP 67 8.16% 150.4 2.27 123.2 2.34 18.09%  
MP 76 9.26% 323.1 4.89 159.1 3.03 50.76%  
NC 71 8.65% 150.3 2.27 93.3 1.77 37.92%  
NW 35 4.26% 315.8 4.77 143.8 2.73 54.46%  
WC 155 18.88% 1 031.4 15.59 901.2 17.14 12.62%  
SA 821 100.00% 6 614.0 100.00 5 258.3 100.00 20.50%  


Design Capacity and Operational Flow Distribution
(Show footnote)
A total flow of 5258 Ml/day is received at the 821 treatment facilities, which has a collective hydraulic design capacity of 6614 Ml/day (as ADWF). This means that 80% of the design capacity is taken up by the current operational flows, leaving 20% to meet the future demand without creating new capacity.

However, the findings of the Green Drop assessment suggest that a significant portion of this existing ‘surplus capacity’ might not be readily available, as result of inadequate maintenance and operational deficiencies, especially at lower capacity municipalities.

The opposite scenario is also possible at high capacity municipalities, where infrastructure can usually cope with flows that exceed the theoretical design capacity without compromising the final effluent capacity. This attainment is however, dependant on qualified and experienced plant management and scientific services.

Analysis of the operational flows indicate that Gauteng manages the bulk of the national load which account for 49%, followed by 17% in the Western Cape and 14% in Kwa-Zulu Natal. The balance of the provinces receives and treats the remainder 20% of wastewater generated in South Africa.




This page : 27 512
Hits today: 6 780
Site hits   : 10 015 211
Version 2 : 9 567 287