The Department of Water and Sanitation is the custodian of South Africa's water resources.
It is primarily responsible for the formulation and implementation of policy governing this sector.
While striving to ensure that all South Africans gain access to clean water and dignified sanitation,
the department also promotes effective and efficient water resources management to ensure sustainable
economic and social development.
Our vision is to be:
a dynamic, people centred department, leading the effective management of the nation's water resources, to meet the needs of current and future generations.
As the sector leader, our mission is to serve the people of South Africa by:
- making a positive impact on our country and its people as custodians of our water and sanitation resources, and as innovative and committed partners in the drive for sustainable development;
- being service and delivery oriented. We strive to get it right the first time, every time, on time - ensuring that our citizens are provided with water and sanitation services they deserve;
- leading our sector and enable partners with knowledge and capacity to ensure that all water services are delivered;
- being committed to innovation and use cutting edge technology as a catalyst of positive change, connecting our people and enabling them to work anywhere anytime;
- having a heart that values our investment in our people. We provide them with a caring and trusting environment that encourages personal development and is a breeding ground for talent.
- Transparency - we fulfil our mandate in an ethical and open manner
- Respect - we respect each other, as well as our clients, and the needs of our citizens
- Excellence - we are leaders and innovators in our sector who get it right on time every time
- Everyone - we are a caring employer who through teamwork serves South Africa's people