- Date of Birth: 23 March 1957
- Marital Status: Married
- Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs since 1 November 2010.
- Completed a course in Economic Leadership for the New Millennium and Administration Management from Wharton School of Business in United States of America (USA).
- Completed a course in Leadership at Kennedy School of Governance.
- Currently studying towards B.Com degree with University of South Africa (UNISA).
- Teacher at Moloto and Makaunyane Secondary Schools (1976 - 1981).
- Served in the underground structures of the liberation movement in 1980s.
- Chairperson of South African Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU), Warmbaths Branch.
- Deputy President of South African Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU).
- Member of the Federation of Transvaal Women.
- Member of the Regional Executive Committee of Congress of South African Trade Union (COSATU), Northern Transvaal (1987 - 1989).
- Served on the National Labour Economic Institute (1992 - 1994).
- Deputy Chairperson of the African National Congress Womens League, Garankuwa Branch (1992 1994).
- Member of the National Assembly (1994 - 1996).
- First women Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry (1994 -1996).
- Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Tourism, Environment and Conservation in North West Province (1996 - 1998).
- Member of the Executive Council for Economic Development and Tourism in North West Province (1998 - 2000).
- Member of the Executive Council for Agriculture, Conservation and Environment in North West Province (2000 - 2004).
- Chairperson of the African National Congress Women's League in the North West Province.
- Provincial Treasurer of the African National Congress in the North West Province until May 2005.
- Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC) in the North West Province (May 2005- May 2008).
- Premier of the North West Province (April 2004- May 2009).
- The Department she led obtained the Platinum Award for best performance in the Province (2003).
- Voted best performing Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Agriculture in the Country by the National Emergent Red-Meat Producers Organization (NERPO) in 2003.
Research and Publications
- Author of unpublished articles in the following fields: Labour, Economics and